DIY Marbleized Bunting
Give your outdoor furniture some flair with easy-to-make pennant bunting. This version embellishes plain white card stock paper with a “how’d she do that?” marbleized pattern using household materials you already have on hand: Shaving cream, food coloring, and a Ziploc® brand bag.DIY Marbleized Bunting
- Shaving cream
- Food coloring
- Ziploc® brand bags
- Popsicle stick or skewer
- Card stock paper
- Twine or ribbon
- Hole punch
- 1 Begin by squeezing a few pumps of foam shaving cream into the bottom of a Ziploc® brand bag.
- 2 Next, drop three or or four drops of one food coloring shade into the shaving cream, and use a popsicle stick or skewer to swirl the color around.
- 3 Drop in a few drops of the second color, and mix again until your desired swirl is achieved.
- 4 Seal the bag.
- 5 Use scissors to snip one of the bottom corners of the bag, then pipe the shaving cream onto your paper like icing.
- 6 Use a spatula or paper towel to wipe away the shaving cream, revealing a fabulous marbleized pattern.
Allow the paper to dry completely, press in a book overnight, and then cut into triangular pennant shapes.
- 8 Punch a hole in each corner, string the pennants on twine, then use to jazz up any area of your outdoor party that needs some brightening.
Tip: Keep a large ball of yarn or spool of ribbon inside a Ziploc® brand bag, with just one end hanging out of the sealed top. Avoid unraveling by pulling on the yarn and cutting as needed, while the ball stays perfectly contained inside the bag!
Sand luminarias, sans the mess
Using paper lanterns for night time lighting in summer is always elegant, but typically the sacks are weighed down by loose sand that’s tossed to the wind (or worse, your eyes). This summer, keep the warm glow and ditch the mess—use Ziploc® brand bags for the sand, and keep it out of your eyes, yard, driveway, the dog's fur... Sand luminarias, sans the mess
- Paper sacks
- Battery-operated LED tea light candles
- Ziploc® brand snack bags
- Loose sand
- 1 Simply pop open the collapsible bags, drop a bag of sand in each, and top with a small battery-operated LED tea light. The lantern will stay in place all night, and the sand-filled Ziploc® brand snack bags can be stashed away and reused at your next gathering!
Jumbo Outdoor Tic-Tac-Toe
Every summer party needs yard games, and while many favorites can be store-bought, there are plenty of do-it-yourself options that cost a fraction of the price. This larger than life tic-tac-toe game is just as fun to make as it is to play! Jumbo Outdoor Tic-Tac-Toe
- Foam board
- Ziploc® brand sandwich bags
- Tacks or staple gun
- Wooden “X” and “O” (can be found at local craft stores)
- Acrylic paint
- 1 Begin by arranging the Ziploc® brand sandwich bags in a 3x3 grid on a large foam board. Then use thumb tacks or a staple gun to press down all the corners and keep the bags in place. Make sure that all the bags are open.
- 2 Find “X” and “O” wooden shapes at your local craft store, and paint them respectively in the colors of your choosing. Set aside to dry completely
- 3 Hammer a large nail or small stake through the tic-tac-toe board, mounting it to a tree or fence, and let the fun begin!
- 4 Bonus: Up the fun and add coins to the game. Make 2 more bags labeled "team A" and "team B" and attach those to the tree or fence as well. Whoever loses each round drops a coin in the other team’s bag. After a few rounds, count them up to see which team won!
The best party activities are the ones you can take home and look at long after the party is over. Here, children spend time painting rocks with their favorite summer symbols, and once dry, they can be popped into a Ziploc® brand bag as year-round reminders of the good times. Summer Rocks
- Acrylic paint
- Ziploc® brand bags
- 1 Hunt stones from a nature walk, or gather them at a local craft store, and let kids choose their favorites. Then, provide acrylic paints and paint brushes for guests to channel their artistic side.
- 2 Print and cut out a festive sticker that reads “Summer Rocks!”, and adhere to the front of a Ziploc® brand bag. At the end of the party, kids can fill their bag with their delightful handpainted creations.